
Union urges caution across drenched coal region
The Mining and Energy Union is urging workers to avoid placing themselves at risk to travel to and from mine sites as heavy rain and flooding disrupt operations across the Queensland coalfields.
MEU Queensland industry health and safety representative Steve Smyth said while it was a changing situation, much of the northern and central Bowen Basin coalfields area had been affected by the weather event in the wake of tropical cyclone Koji.
While many mines had developed severe weather Trigger Action Response Plans (TARPs), there were still cases where people were put in a vulnerable position when asked to find a way to get in to work when access was difficult or not released from work early enough to ensure a safe route home, he said.
“If you’re a labour hire employee, particularly, you really are at the direction of the employer, both leaving work and coming to work, when it shouldn’t be like that. It should be a clear-cut process,” he said.

” … So really it’s about the employer providing not always just a safe place to work, but providing safe alternatives for people and not having them forced to make a decision based off their employment arrangements or have to put them at risk.”
The MEU has urged members unsure about the process at their site, including payments or access to leave entitlements if they are unable to get to work, to check their agreement and contact their delegate.
Image at top of page: Flood camera vision this morning at Browns Flat, Gregory Highway, Clermont – courtesy Isaac Regional Council
The worst of the rain from the system missed the Carmichael coal mine, about 160km north-west of Clermont, and would not have a material effect on production long-term, according to mine owner Bravus Mining and Resources.
Glencore said heavy rain at its Clermont, Hail Creek and Collinsville coal operations had led to short-term impacts, including road access to site.
“We are continuing to monitor the situation in line with our health, safety and environmental protocols,” a company spokesman said.
Yesterday afternoon Queensland Rail confirmed that a section of the North Coast line between Townsville and Mackay was closed, with track inspections identifying some washouts, scouring and damaged track.
The Mount Isa line remained closed between Stuart and Hughenden and Gemoka west to Undina, while the Central West line was closed from Emerald west to Alpha and Longreach west to Winton.
Aurizon said services were currently operating across all four systems of the Central Queensland Coal Network (CQCN).
However, some sections of the Goonyella system remain closed due to weather impacts and were being assessed, it said.
Maritime Safety Queensland advised that all Queensland ports had reopened in the wake of tropical cyclone Koji’s crossing at the weekend.
Port of Mackay reverted to an ‘all clear’ status as at 8am Monday and the Whitsundays at 9.40am.
‘Maritime Safety Queensland (MSQ) continues to monitor the Ex-TC Koji severe weather event, and its potential impacts across Queensland’s coastline and waterways,’ the authority said late yesterday.
‘MSQ will continue making waterway assessments of impacts to navigation aids such as buoys and beacons, obstructions to navigation channels and stranded vessels as conditions allow.’
An Abbot Point Operations spokesman said the North Queensland Export Terminal was undamaged by tropical cyclone Koji and was expected to return to normal operations from Tuesday morning.











